Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Elephants in the room

This is surprising.

So Tobold has decided to quit Warhammer Online.

He notes that he never expected to play it much when WotLK hit, but given the amount of coverage he posted on WAR, and the level of intereste he showed, I didn't expect him to quit so soon.

It's a bit comforting though, seeing as how I was feeling guilty myself over not having logged into WAR in nearly two weeks. My account is active, but with the fun I've been having in WoW and all the tasty 3.0.2 goodies released last week, it's just been no contest.

WAR is a fun game. I like the character selection process, the opening quests, the emotes, the public quest system, the RvR scenarios and much of the game design. But it lacks the polish, familiarity and social connections that WoW holds and continually sharpens for me.

When WAR hit, my WoW guild created new sub-forums specifically for a WAR extension of the guild. Our guild leader removed those threads over the weekend.

I'll be cancelling my account, but I would actually like to return someday. WAR devs are saying they're in it for the long haul, so perhaps in four years we could have a WAR version of what WoW offers now. But for the time being, I'll sit in Durotar and gaze longingly at the new Zepplin tower, waiting for the first trip north.

And possibly maybe continue my career as an achievement harlot.

No comments: