Monday, October 20, 2008

Achieve or die.

It’s a sickness. Gotta be.

Why the fuck am I more motivated to get the little flashy Achievement animation and the heroic Ding! music than I am to grind dailies and hoard gold?

Oh yeah, because grinding dailies sucks. Unless it’s for the [A Simple Re-Quest]. Then it’s all good. ‘Cause you’re achieving something.

It’s so strange. I love this new addition to WoW, but at the same time it feels dangerously distracting. Like I should be working on other goals than boosting my total achievement points. Not sure what other goals those could be. Sure, I probably don’t have as much gold as others in anticipation of WotLK. A little over 600 right now. Actually less, since I bought a Swift Green Hawkstrider to boost my mount count. Sonuvabitch.

It’s like I’ve made a new best friend and an eternal nemesis at the same time.

Ah, well. I did make a little over 150g this weekend just by visiting all the candy buckets in Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor and Outland for [Tricks and Treats of Azeroth]. I really want to close out all these Hallow’s End achievements before the festival ends. Be pretty cool to get “The Hallowed” title after my name.

Got a lot of the easy ones finished this weekend, and now it’s a game of getting transformed by a few more wands and collecting the flimsy masks (these will be the hardest, I think). The PvP quests should be relatively easy. Oh, and I’ll have to stay on top of the Headless Horseman for the Hallowed Helm and Sinister Squashling.

Downed him multiple times yesterday. I’d wondered how they were going to handle his loot, since we’d already gotten such awesome trinkets from Coren Direbrew. I picked up the +attack power and stam ring, but it’s not that much of an upgrade for me. Still a fun fight though, if fairly easy.

Still no Old Ironjaw or Old Crafty. I got my [250] and [500] catch-a-fish dings though. Spent easily 3-4 hours late Saturday into the dawn hours of Sunday fishing for Old Crafty in Orgrimmar. Nuthin’. And if there’s no luck there with that amount of time spent, I can’t even imagine how painful it’s going to be when I resume my Ironforge intrusions for Old Ironjaw. There’s no place to fish discreetly in IF. At least in Orgrimmar Allies can hide in the little rock formation at the base of the waterfall.

Also casually crossing off the lower instance achievements. Dropped into Ragefire Chasm for less than five minutes to kill that boss. Then, as I was riding through Silverpine Forest toward Southshore last night, a little mage /whispered me and offered 5g for a run through Shadowfang Keep. Figured what the fuck, and ran him through for free. I got an achievement out of it, so I was all good.

It was funny, I told him I’d do it, and he was like “what? really?! like right now??”

Haha. I guess he must have been asking people for a while.

No comments: