Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Uncute Pugs

Started this weekend on Gnomcot, thinking I'd bring him up a bit in level, but then I got distracted by the little Night Elf I moved over to that server to consolidate my Alliance characters. Should be easier having an alchemist over there to aid Gnomcot in his as-yet potion-free travels.
Got my first taste of Alliance grouping and instances the other day. I was fighting (and often dying) in near the southern village in Westfall when I got an invite to Deadmines. I agreed to be the offtank. We had a 20 NE Warrior, a 16 NE Priest, a 16 Gnome Mage and a 15 Human Rogue. We wiped once on the elite ogre near the first set of doors. Then the group just up and disbanded.
Gee, thanks.
As much as I enjoy the lower levels, I'm really not looking forward to pre-40 grouping. Most are still learning their class, but I've found that there are a lot of situations where one member will yell at another member for not playing correctly, and then explain how their main is of that class, so they obviously know how to do it. I don't fancy one player trying to 5-box deadmines by telling the other four members how to play their respective classes. I got that crap from the other Warrior, who was also telling the Mage and the Priest how to play.
People have no patience for leveling the third or fourth time around. They've gotten to 60 or 70, and they know what the endgame holds for them, be it in PvE or PvP. They've got those goals, so they have their next trek to 60 all planned out. All they need to do is race to 58 and enter Outland so they can start the green machine with the multitude of quests and items.
The problem with this is that no one wants to go through that path at the correct pace. People see their friends or guildmates at level 70, and assume they can be powerleveled upward. Think about it. How many people actually find a group for Ragefire Chasm these days? I mean a 5-man crew of levels 10-16 that takes the time to play through that dungeon at the appropriate difficulty? No many, I'd wager. They stand around in Orgimmar begging higher levels to power them through it. Some even pay gold, which is ridiculous.
The social aspect of this game is grouping with people of similar interests...in this case, completing the quests in RFC or Stockades or Deadmines or Blackfathom Deeps. It's proportionally as hard for a level 16 crew to take down Van Cleef as it is for a level 70 crew to down Murmur. But those level 16s either can't find a good group, can't work together, or won't take the time to try and find a group, instead opting to beg a 60-70 player to race them through in 15 minutes.
It's not a rant; it's an observation, and I think it's a more visible problem now that the Burning Crusade has arrived. There are now two general factions within the World of Warcraft: those who are in Outland and those who are not. Those who have not yet gone through the portal are feeling left out. The old world is empty. Zul'gurub, Molten Core, Ahn'Qiraj and all that other stuff is largely a casual game now. The real fun seems to be in Outland, so everyone left in Azeroth either must solo, deal with impatient PUGs or beg for powerleveling, because they believe that life begins when you roll through the Dark Portal.
Sure it does, but there's a whole lotta fun to be had before then.

2 comments:

Alachia said...

I agree with your observation.
I'm guilty myself of not enjoying the grind of leveling anymore. I rush through not caring about content so much as getting my xp bar futher and perhaps seeing new zones and instances.

But I did my first time around though. I was fortunate enough to have been in the game before eveyone and their mother was 60.

I shall look forward to seeing how your little gnomcot progresses :)

Mercot said...

/sigh
Yes, I have sadly been ignoring Gnomcot lately. I get distracted by my Warlock. And Gnomcot is now 17, the death-age of my alts. It's a barrier I really have to force myself through. I've never had an alt past level 22. :(