Friday, April 6, 2007

It's a working title...

...and I only started it to be able to post on other blogs. Gets around the troublesome Anonymous filter.
Not sure if I'll keep up the posts. None of my other blogs have endured over the years. I think the single most successful was my Myspace blog. But...well we all know how that ended up. Adspace. Spamspace.
So...a little bit about me.
RL, I'm a 25-year-old years old, have a great girlfriend, two cats and a reasonably fulfilling range of interests spanning from TVonDVD to comics to books to select current TV shows to film(EDIT: 2008 ) . And of course that all-encompassing time-suck, the Internet.
OL, I'm Mercot, a level 70 Undead Warlock in the World of Warcraft.
I first saw WoW in February of 2006, over the shoulder of a friend's brother. I was like, "THAT'S Warcraft?!" Previously, I had known Warcraft as a weird little RTS game that seemed far inferior to my preferred Age of Empires 1 or 2. I never had a real computer of my own, or at least one that could barely run more than AoE 2, so I pretty much consoled my way through video games up through last year. But when I saw WoW, I was amazed at the level of detail in the gameplay. Particularly the art style. But I was poor, and all I had was a 4-year old Dell Inspiron laptop.
I didn't land a decent job until a few months later. Weighed the stats of an Xbox 360 versus the more expensive (and more versatile) game-worthy PC, and ended up buying a custom-built box off Craigslist.
Bought the game, installed it and, of course, got hooked. Took me a month to get to level 15 or 16. :)
Didn't hit 60 until December 26, 2006, and then I dinged 70 sometime in early Feb 2007.
So basically, this is my first real "computer game" after roughly 6 or 7 years of being out of the PC loop. My first RPG was Kotor (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) on the Xbox, so I at least had an idea of how an RPG played.
But I can't describe how massive WoW first seemed to me in terms of scope, detail, design, gameplay...and the list goes on. Most of it was basic MMO stuff - the lingo, the mechanics and the pace. But having only played on a console previously, I had to learn how to play an MMORPG in addition to the actual game, World of Warcraft.
I'm sure this story is relatable for millions of other players.
So...today. I'm still learning. I feel like I've mastered my Warlock and the PvE game style. I've done as much 5-man and solo content as my play schedule allows. My non-gamer girlfriend tolerates roughly 3-4 nights per week, on which I usually focus solely on WoW.
For me, WoW is, to quote the poor dude on Tyra Banks's talk show, an escape. But it's designed that way. It's another world, largely separate from our own. I've explained it to non-gamers as a hobby, like fine-tuning a classic car. Except that car is your character, and you can create other cars for other capacities and build them up as well.
Not sure if that works as an analogy.
Anyway, like I said, I started this blog as a way to post on Metatalk, WoWcast.net or other Blogger sites if I wanted. Screens and other posts may follow, but I'm making no promises.
Also, in anticipation of the Metatalk discussion on April 12, 2007, I created a Gnome Warrior on the Scarlet Crusade server. His name is Gnomcot. I leveled him to 7 and parked him in the Stormwind Park.
Also got a chance to observe to real RP in Elwyn and the Stormwind square. Very interesting stuff. It was also my first real exposure to the Alliance from the other side of the faction tracks. Night elves (at least the RPers that I encountered) are kind of jerkish.
But that could have just been their character. :)

No comments: