Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Comic relief


A friend of mine recently gave me a gift certificate to a cool little shop called Things From Another World. It’s a geeknerd store with all the usual actio- er…collectible figurines, posters, guides, DVDs and of course comics. Very commercial compared to my usual shop, Excalibur Books and Comics, but full of cool stuff all the same.

Picked up a compilation of the first three issues and the fourth single issue of Mark Millar’s Kick-Ass (which is a most agreeable title – highly recommended). Read AICN’s thoughts on it here. I plowed through all four issues in less than an hour. More please.

Also found Spider-Woman: Origins from Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed. Fascinating look at my favorite New Avenger. The art drove me nuts, though. It’s stylistic and very well visualized, but the illustration is very basic. I like that the artists, the Luna Brothers, chose a certain style and stayed consistent, but it really wasn’t my cup of tea. Excellent story from Bendis and Reed, however.

I can’t seem to get enough of Bendis’ shit. “Discovered” (read: I’d been living under a fucking boulder) him with House of M in April and have been steadily consuming everything by him I can get my nerdy hands on: New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers: Illuminati, Secret War, etc. I’ve been trying to check out Powers, but haven’t been able to find the first volume anywhere yet.

And finally, I picked up Abe Sapien: The Drowning in trade paperback. I love Marvel, but it’s an incredible pleasure to go from something like Spider-Woman to the dark unknown that is Mike Mignola and the world of B.P.R.D. and Hellboy. It’s like admiring sleek new dresser from IKEA and then looking over and seeing a richly polished Victorian sea chest, older than you can imagine, with God-knows-what lurking inside.

It’s your typical Mike Mignola story – paranormal agents on a mission to root out some old forgotten evil. But it’s so lovingly orchestrated by Mignola, and beautifully illustrated by Jason Shawn Alexander, that I could care less about the formula. Maybe I should re-phrase: I don’t care so much that the B.P.R.D. books always involve disastrous field missions because we’ve got to accept that these are always the thin shell for the real stories that need to be told. These missions always spark major character moments while retaining that classic dark ambiguity Mignola is known for. I love that I always have to read his books two or even three times before I feel I really understand what’s going on in the frames and the dialogue. So much of it is left up to interpretation. Less is more.

No comments: