Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It's All Mine(ing)

Took a break from leveling on Sunday evening to finally skill up my mining. I got guilty during a PuG when someone asked if there were any miners present. I said yes, but I was far too low to tap any Outland veins. The other player got all serious and told me that I really should get my mining up, as I wouldn’t want to miss out on all of the ore I was leveling around.

I’d coincidentally just picked up my Swift Pink Hawkstrider the day before, so I was a bit more mobile. I decided to start mining. Moved from level 220 up to 295 that evening, mining Mithril, Gold, Truesilver and Thorium.

Oh, and I also got filthy stinking rich doing it. I must have gathered 5 or six stacks of Thorium, and god knows how much Mithril. I was in the zone. Must have watched at least 5 or 6 episodes of Buffy. Kept sending the ore, stone, random minerals and crystals to my bank alt, and at the end of the night I tossed everything up onto the AH. Next time I logged in, I collected over 200 gold.

Last night was a bit more casual; just needed to pushed mining another 5 points to 300 so I could start gathering the Fel Iron nodes in Hellfire Peninsula. I’d definitely recommend following through mining, ‘cause I thought it paid well at the LOWER levels. Had no idea it was this profitable in the post-300 skill range. But I guess we can add this to the other 19 billion things I’m still learning about this game.

Also joined a brief PvP group yesterday for the daily quest in Hellfire Peninsula. I’ve been trying to get my three Thrallmar marks every day by capturing the three contested points on the map. And by capturing them, I of course mean that I ride in, flag for PvP, wait for the tower to turn Horde-controlled, and do the very same thing to the next two towers. I’d then hide in a gully or run back to Thrallmar to wait for the PvP flag to timeout. Easy 3 marks per day.

Yesterday, though, we actually got a little 5-man group together and actively defended the Overlook, Stadium and Broken Hill for about an hour. I didn’t realize that you get a bonus Thrallmark mark per PvP kill you to which you contribute. I had my little stack of 15 marks I’d slowly been gathering since I hit level 58, but that turned into 56 yesterday, so I was able to get my Mark of Conquest from the Horde Field Scout in Zangarmarsh. Very cool.

One final holy shit: A simple level 65 quest in Blade’s Edge Mountain got me this Wild Horned Helm in less than five minutes. God I love the “find an upgrade” feature on the WoW Armory.

No comments: